Sunday, February 16, 2014

My favorite things- Olympic edition

I love the Olympics.  Love, love, love it.  Four years ago I was at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.  As someone who loves and has been to the Olympics, I have some thoughts about Sochi-

1. Winter vs. Summer-  People often compare the Winter and Summer Olympics and I think the Summer Olympics is favored by most.  I love both.  I have many memories of twirling around the house and doing the "Nancy Kerrigan" on my roller blades.  Plus, the wipe-outs are much better in the winter games.  Especially in slow motion.

2.  The drama- I love that every Olympics comes with so much drama!  All of the #SochiFails, stories of the "romantic" Olympic village, and remember the Canadian pairs' team that were cheated out of gold, but then shared it in the end?  And who could forget Tonya Harding?

3.  Bob Costas- Bob and I go way back.  I fell in love with him when he was coving a story during the Olympics about Amanda Beard.  She was talking about doing Playboy and he wasn't having any of it.  He makes me laugh.  Get your eye situation figured out, Bob.  We miss you.

4.  The Emotions-  I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the Olympics makes me tear up... a lot.  If I'm watching the games alone then I'm crying.  Remember when Michelle Kwan was slated to win gold, but won bronze instead?  And then during her free skate the next day she skated to Stings Walk In Fields of Gold?  And she was crying?  Well, I was crying too.  I cry when they win gold, when they don't win gold, when their families react, when Bob tells their stories and most of all during.....

5. The commercials-  The Olympic commercials KILL ME.  Show me a commercial of a little kid and his Mom chasing the Olympic dream and I'll show you an (almost) 30 year-old holding back tears.

I'm trying to get my students involved in the games but they aren't really interested.  I have a medal count on my board and often point to it and yell things like, "If you're not watching, they're not winning!" or "If you don't watch this, they're going to take it away from us!!!"



Some of my classes look inspired but most just look at me like I'm insane again.




SAY IT WITH ME.... U S A, U S A, U S A!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm and I bet your students do too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. If "I love your enthusiasm" and "I think you're a crazy person" mean the same thing, then yes they love my enthusiasm :)

    ReplyDelete