Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Summer To Do List

Every summer I make a To Do list for myself.  If I can't check things off of a list I feel like I haven't accomplished anything.  My first summer after teaching I didn't make a list and I felt like I wasted 3 months of my life.  I doubt I would feel that way now with a toddler to entertain but I still like to have a list-it gives me something to put on the chalkboard wall!



DO ACTIVITIES WITH NOLA
Why this might happen: I've looked on Pintrest and found great activities. Nola and I went to The Dollar Store last week and got some supplies and EVERY SINGLE ELMO THING THEY SELL.  We didn't buy all of the Elmo things but they ALL made it into the cart.  We have a lot of fun stuff planned!

Why this might not happen: It will. Nola deserves to learn and grow and I'm a teacher so it's kind of my thing.

Bag of Dollar Store activities


MOW THE LAWN
Why this might happen: Every summer since we bought this house we have paid someone to mow the lawn but last month my parents gave us their old lawn mower.  I've used it a couple of times now and it's been good. I like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I'm done and the lawn looks nice.

Why this might not happen: SNAKES and my general discomfort with nature.  There are snakes in our backyard.  The first time I mowed I saw a dead one and a couple of snake skins. When I mowed this week I saw a real live snake.  It slithered next to the house behind some weeds.  I couldn't see the snake or get the mower close to the house so I just shoved the mower into the weeds while yelling, "DIE, DIE".  The snake is either dead or very, very angry.  Also, the kids playing in my neighbors backyard might be scared of me?!?


LOSE 1 POUND A WEEK
Why this might happen: I think it's easier to eat better in the summer. There are a lot more yummy fruits and I have time to think about what to make for dinner. Summer also gives me more time to workout- while Nola is taking her nap or sleeping in until 9:30!

Why this might now happen: I love chocolate and I hate working out.



RENOVATE BATHROOM (IN 5 DAYS??)
Why this might happen:  My parents are taking Nola for a week giving us 5 uninterrupted days to work.  Plus we have already gutted and renovated a bathroom so we (sort of) know what we're doing.

Why this might not happen: Our first bathroom renovation may have given us some experience but it also took us 2 1/2 years which is somewhat longer than five days.

It needs some updating.


MAKE A QUILT (OR 3?)
Why this might happen: I took a quilting class! I've already started my first quilt.  It matches my living room and will serve as a comfortable blanket I can use when Robert is home, he likes the house much colder than I do.

The first finished square.

Why this might not happen: I think I will for sure finish all of the squares but I'm not sure how to do the middle and backing.  Im hoping to find someone to help me with that when I'm ready for it!


FINISH MY BLURB BOOK
Why this might happen: I made a book with all of Nola's pictures from her first year using blurb.com (I highly recommend it).  You can check out her book here. Now I want to add to it to create a "yearbook" for our family. I'm almost done with it, I just need to sit down and do it.

Why this might not happen: I would rather quilt then sit down and finish it.


SMALL PROJECTS
Why this might happen: I have a few small projects to finish. One for my sister-in-law, one for a friend, one for Robert and one for the house (this is a secret project that Rob doesn't know about).  Each should take less than a day.

The wall where the secret project will go.

Why this might not happen: Nola. She's a little distracting.


PAINT AND ORGANIZE THE GARAGE
Why this might happen: If we can buy shelves and get organized before we start then the actual process of painting and putting things away shouldn't take too long.

Why this might not happen: I'm not super excited about it, Robert is the one who wants to get it done.   It will be up to him to motivate me to do it!


RENOVATE THE KITCHEN, FIX FLOORS AND ADD BASEBOARDS, PATCH CEILING
Why this might happen: We could win the lottery and hire someone to do all of it.

Why this might not happen: We never buy lottery tickets.


No comments:

Post a Comment