Friday, February 5, 2016

Turk's room

I'm finally done with the nursery!  I had a hard time with this room.  I normally get a vision right away and just go with it, but my visions are pretty girly.  Since I knew we were having a boy I had to work a little slower and ended up questioning myself a lot (at one time there were 4 different curtain panels hanging on the rods!).  I also wanted to try and use things we already had and I think I did a pretty good job of keeping the cost down.

When we bought the house the room was still very much stuck in the 70's.


Then, for the last 6 years is was a fun and bright guest room.



And now it's home to an aborable little boy.




The first thing I did was pick the bedding.  I found it on etsy and really liked that it was "boyish" but had lots of colors.  


After I picked the bedding I originally wanted to paint the room navy but when I started picking out colors I found a grey/brown that I really liked.  Then I had vision of gold pin stripes but was too pregnant to deal with that, so I turned the stripes into arrows- much easier to measure.  Robert even likes it, he says it reminds him of Back to the Future.  Win win!


And then I found the deer.  The amazing, wicker, deer.


I found it at Target, on sale.  Robert hated it.  I needed a little reassurance that I wasn't crazy so I sent a picture to a friend and my sister.   I didn't realize that the picture failed to send so while I was standing in line I sent them a frantic text.  It said something like- YOU'RE LACK OF RESPONSE MAKES ME THINK THAT A WICKER DEER HEAD IS A BAD IDEA!?!?!  They had no idea what I was talking about.  It was a very confusing Saturday morning for them, but the whole mix up had me laughing to the point of tears in the Target aisle.  The cashier asked me if I was ok.  Apparently a pregnant lady crying is cause for concern?

Anyway, I bought the deer and even though Robert suggested that it might go "missing" several times, it survived to be spray painted and hung in the nursery with some knobs/hooks that I found at Hobby Lobby.   


A few people asked me what the "theme" of the nursery was going to be.  I said, "cute".  I'm not really a theme kind of gal but with the arrows on the bedding, wall, and the deer head is started to get a little hunter-y.  I've never hunted and have no strong feelings towards hunting.  If someone walks in a says it's a hunting theme, so be it.  It's also cute. 

My mom sewed the bumpers and added some of the bedding fabric to the curtains that were already in the room, I think it helped pull the colors together. 


I found a lady on etsy that makes cute wall decor out of palettes, so I had one made for Turk.


Finally, I wanted Nola to have a part in his room.  So, a couple of weeks before he was born I bought a drop cloth and taped off the word "LOVED" then let her go to town.  



Honestly, it was a stressful afternoon for me.  I was trying to straddle the line between letting her do her own thing and making it look nice.  We worked in layers, color by color.  The last thing we did was added her hand prints in gold.  She did a great job and I love the way it turned out.  I had an old frame from a drawing I did in college so the whole thing was less than 10 bucks! 


Turk- I hope you enjoy your room and know that you are LOVED! 














No comments:

Post a Comment