Monday, June 13, 2016

Kid free week/bathroom update

We've been (slowly) remodeling our house.  It took us 3 years (maybe 2.5) to finish our first bathroom.  As soon as we finished the first one I was itching to start the second and I was SURE that it wouldn't take us as long as the first.  I wanted to send Nola to my parents that summer for a few days and re-do it all in that time.  Well, we did that, but didn't get as far as I would have liked.  If fact, we only got it gutted.

Before and After

Now I know what you're thinking- WHY DIDN'T YOU KEEP THE CARPET!?!?!

Just kidding.  You're probably thinking- There's no way that bathroom sat gutted for three years before we stepped foot in it again!  Well, just like carpet in a bathroom, you're wrong.  I could tell you we didn't work on it because we couldn't figure what to do about the shower base that didn't fit in the spot where the base was previously, or that Robert had to have surgery on his leg the last two summers and was unable to walk, but the truth is that it wasn't a priority.  Yes, we would have finished it sooner if those things hadn't have come up, but we didn't.  

After a few close calls and a couple of accidents (mostly Nola :) we decided we needed to make a second toilet a priority.  After my trip to Dallas I left the kids with my parents in Wichita and headed home to work on the bathroom for 3 1/2 kid-free days.  While I was gone, Robert got all of our supplies ready and cleaned out the room so when we woke up on Tuesday we got to work! 


The first day we installed the shower base and sub floor, plumbed the sink, then we went to Columbus because I had a volleyball game.  The second day we installed the drywall, taped and mudded, and started tiling the floor.  The third day we finished tiling, primed and painted, and installed the light fixture.  And on Friday we woke up early to grout then packed up and drove to Lincoln for a wedding. 

Day 1 and Day 4


Days 1-4


For now we're not dealing with the shower.  We have to special order a part and like I said before, the toilet is the priority.  Our next step is to add a chair rail/decorative trim to hid the drywall tape.  We are hoping to do that this weekend and then we can add the toilet and sink!!!  

So what were the kids doing while we were working on the bathroom?  Lots of fun things! 

Shopping!

Botanical Gardens!



Playgrounds!



Water fun in the backyard!



Rolling back to front (for the first time!) and snuggling!


And, of course, they tweeted about it.

















No comments:

Post a Comment